Maui Revealed Guidebook Updates
Updates to 9th Edition
It happens every time. The day after we send the disks off to the printers for our brand new edition, somebody changes something that directly affects what we write. Several times we’ve e-mailed these changes to the printers. (It’s our only chance to yell that classic publisher line, Stop the presses!) But after the presses roll we’re left shaking our heads, saying, “Yeah, we know that changed. We’ll correct that in our next printing.” The internet is the next best thing to yanking back all the books in print and scribbling in the changes that always occur.
At Wizard Publications we continually strive to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate information on the islands. We are the only publisher who updates our books every time we reprint them. So if you see the updates below already listed in the book you just bought, you may have a recent printing.
The updates below are for the 9th edition of Maui Revealed. Note: all pages numbers refer to the printed edition of the book.
COVID-19 Related Updates
For in depth up–to-date COVID-19 information as it relates to Hawai‘i, please read our “Traveling to Hawai‘i During COVID” blog.
Everyone stay safe.
- Temporary Closure of Kalaupapa (pages 152, 262 & 263) Due to concerns about the health and safety of the residents and employees at Kalaupapa, tours to the peninsula are canceled until further notice—only essential supplies are being flown in. We will post any updates once they become available.
- Flyin’ Hawaiian Zipline (page 254) is temporarily closed due to COVID.
- (After above mention reopens) Kalaupapa Guided Mule Tours (page 262) a landslide in December 2018 took out one of the bridges along the cliffside trail to Kalaupapa. Repairs will likely take months to complete. Until the bridge is repaired, no one will be able to access Kalaupapa by land. You can still visit the settlement by securing a permit through Damien Tours (808-567-6171) and booking a flight through to the Kalaupapa peninsula through Mokulele Airlines (866-260-7070).
- Surf Break Shave Ice (Island Dining) is closed while they search for a new location.
General Information & Updates:
- (Ok, this isn’t really an update but we thought we’d put it in here to help avoid confusion). We’ve gotten a few e-mails asking us why the time-saving road linking Wailea with Kula upcountry isn’t on our maps (though it is on other maps). At the risk of sounding self-serving, the other maps are slightly… not right…Ok they’re wrong! That road is private, gated and not accessible. We won’t print it if we haven’t driven it. Same for the Oprah Highway…
- State Parks are now charging a $10 parking fee per vehicle for out-of-state visitors. Pedestrians, motorcycle and moped riders pay $5 per person. The camping fee is now $30 per night per campsite.
- A Paradise Dream Wedding (page 26) phone number should be 808-298-7448.
- Baby’s Away (page 37) phone number should be 208-250-2733.
- Greeters of Hawai‘i (page 46) no longer does airport lei greetings.
- Heart-shaped Rock (page 62) it is with a broken heart that we have to report a broken heart out at Nakalele blowhole. The heart-shaped rock is now no more.
- ‘Iao Valley (pages 69 & 71) has new parking and entry fees for ʻIao Valley State Monument: Nonresidents: $10.00 per vehicle, $5.00 per individual walk-in.
- Sunrise from Haleakala (page 125) reservations open at 7am two days in advance not 4pm as listed.
- Haleakala National Park (page 126) entrance fee is now $30 in 2020.
- Haleakala National Park Upper Visitor Center (page 129) closes at 5 p.m. now, not noon.
- Kalaupapa Day Tours (page 151 & 263) is closed. Try Father Damien Tours instead.
- Big Beach/Oneloa/Makena (page 173) now has a parking fee of $5 per vehicle.
- Maui Off-road Adventures (page 185) no longer offers tours of Kaupo as a group. But may offer them as private tours.
- CampMaui.net (page 209) is closed.
- Pi‘iholo Ranch (page 230) no longer offers horseback riding.
- Maui Surfer Girls (page 250) phone number should be 808-670-3886.
- Action Sports (page 254) phone number should be 808-283-7913.
Island Dining Closures:
- Beach Bums BBQ (Napili location)
- Da Kitchen
- Maui Tacos (Kihei and Kahului locations)
- Ohana Tacos
- Relish Oceanside
- Rock & Blues
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House
- Sarento’s on the Beach
From the Where to Stay chapter: