Maui Revealed Guidebook Updates
Updates to 10th Edition
It happens every time. The day after we send the disks off to the printers for our brand new edition, somebody changes something that directly affects what we write. Several times we’ve e-mailed these changes to the printers. (It’s our only chance to yell that classic publisher line, Stop the presses!) But after the presses roll we’re left shaking our heads, saying, “Yeah, we know that changed. We’ll correct that in our next printing.” The internet is the next best thing to yanking back all the books in print and scribbling in the changes that always occur.
At Wizard Publications we continually strive to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate information on the islands. We are the only publisher who updates our books every time we reprint them. So if you see the updates below already listed in the book you just bought, you may have a recent printing.
The updates below are for the 10th edition of Maui Revealed. Note: all pages numbers refer to the printed edition of the book.
COVID-19 Related Updates
For in depth up–to-date COVID-19 information as it relates to Hawai‘i, please read our “Traveling to Hawai‘i During COVID” blog.
Everyone stay safe.
- Temporary Closure of Kalaupapa (pages 152, 262 & 263) Due to concerns about the health and safety of the residents and employees at Kalaupapa, tours to the peninsula are canceled until further notice—only essential supplies are being flown in. We will post any updates once they become available.
- Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary (pages 37 & 253) Visitor Center is temporarily closed due to COVID.
- Kealia Pond National Wildlife Refuge (pages 37, 134 & 135) Visitor Center is closed due to COVID but the boardwalk remains open.
- Flyin’ Hawaiian Zipline (page 254) is temporarily closed due to COVID.
- (After above mention reopens) Kalaupapa Guided Mule Tours (page 262) a landslide in December 2018 took out one of the bridges along the cliffside trail to Kalaupapa. Repairs will likely take months to complete. Until the bridge is repaired, no one will be able to access Kalaupapa by land. You can still visit the settlement by securing a permit through Damien Tours (808-567-6171) and booking a flight through to the Kalaupapa peninsula through Mokulele Airlines (866-260-7070).
- Kahili Golf Course (page 211 & 212) is Temporarily closed.
General Information & Updates:
- (Ok, this isn’t really an update but we thought we’d put it in here to help avoid confusion). We’ve gotten a few emails asking us why the time-saving road linking Wailea with Kula upcountry isn’t on our maps (though it is on other maps). At the risk of sounding self-serving, the other maps are slightly… not right…Ok they’re wrong! That road is private, gated and not accessible. We won’t print it if we haven’t driven it. Same for the Oprah Highway…
- Twin Falls (page 88) parking is limited and costs $10—don’t count on being able to park on the highway to avoid the fee.
Island Dining & Nightlife Updates:
- There is a mistake on page 314 in South Maui Lu‘au. We mistakenly placed the Honua‘ula Lu‘au title, address and phone where the Te Au Moana at the Marriott should be and said it was “second choice.” It should say “solid option”. The correct address and phone for the Te Au Moana is 3700 Wailea Alanui Dr, Wailea, phone: 877-827-2740. The price is now $225 adults, $155 kids 6–12.
Island Dining & Nightlife Closures:
- Charley’s (page 311) sadly didn’t survive the pandemic and is closed.