Ultimate Kauai Guidebook Updates
Updates to 11th Edition
It happens every time. The day after we send the disks off to the printers for our brand new edition, somebody changes something that directly affects what we write. Several times we’ve e-mailed these changes to the printers. (It’s our only chance to yell that classic publisher line, Stop the presses!) But after the presses roll we’re left shaking our heads, saying, “Yeah, we know that changed. We’ll correct that in our next printing.” The internet is the next best thing to yanking back all the books in print and scribbling in the changes that always occur.
At Wizard Publications we continually strive to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate information on the islands. We are the only publisher who updates our books every time we reprint them. So if you see the updates below already listed in the book you just bought, you may have a recent printing.
The updates below are for the 11th edition of The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. Note: all pages numbers refer to the printed edition of the book. Scroll down for updates to the 10th edition.
COVID-19 Related Updates
For in depth up–to-date COVID-19 information as it relates to Hawai‘i, please read our “Traveling to Hawai‘i During COVID” blog.
Everyone stay safe.
COVID-19 related closures and information can be found here: kauai.gov.
Temporary Closures due to Covid-19
- Bangkok Happy Bowl (Island Dining)
- Fresh Shave (Island Dining)
- Gaylord’s (Island Dining)
- Lava Lava Beach Club (Island Dining)
- Silverfalls Ranch (Activities – Horseback Riding)
- Flooding on Kauai March, 2021:The Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) will open Kuhio Highway (Route 560) on the north shore of Kauai at mile marker 1 approaching Hanalei Bridge for scheduled public access beginning Saturday, March 20, 2021. Monday–Friday:
- Morning access: 5:30 a.m. to 7:45 a.m.
- Afternoon access: 1:45 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. every day except Wednesdays
- Wednesday afternoon access: 12:45 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Evening access: 5:45 p.m. to 10 p.m.
During access hours the highway at Hanalei Hill will be open to single lane, alternating traffic for passenger cars and light trucks. These vehicles will be escorted through the work zone by a pilot vehicle.
Due to recent landslides caused by heavy rainfall and flooding there is limited access to Haena State Park, the Napali Coast State Wilderness Park, and the Kalalau Trail. Haena State Park and the Kalalau Trail are OPEN and existing reservations are being honored – day use and overnight. However, due to uncertainty of access, new permits are NOT being issued for future dates, but we expect to reactivate the reservation system soon. Permittees are encouraged to be vigilant and check the Hawaii DOT webpage for current Kuhio Highway access hours and protocols.
Closed is the following State Park: Polihale State Park the access road is impassable.
- Queen’s Bath (pages 99 & 106) this may be effectively closed off for now.
- The Historic Kilauea Stone Dam Hike (page 164) remains closed until further notice due to flood damage (they said it may be reopened sometime in 2020, but now they say it will take years). However, the Wai Koa Loop Trail (page 153) is open.
- Pihea Trail (pages 97 & 152) has a hog fence put up with signs and a locked gate. This has confused some people. To the right the trail continues along the fence another mile to connect with the Alaka‘i Swamp Trail. To the left is very short but steep spur trail leading to Pihea Vista, your last chance to see Kalalau Valley.
General Information & Updates:
- Koke’e and Waimea Canyon State Parks are now charging a $10 parking fee per vehicle for out-of-state visitors plus a $5 per person entrance fee. Motorcycle and moped riders pay $5 per person. The camping fee is now $30 per night per campsite.
- Kalalau Trail is open to day and overnight use. Camping (with permit only) is now $35 per night.
- Secret Tunnel to the North Shore (pages 64, 70 & 213), Jungle Hike (pages 64, 70, 167 & 168) and Hike to Blue Hole (page 217): The state has been working on the unpaved access road to here of late and they may have a locked gate during the week while they work on the road (not on weekends).
- Duane’s Ono-Char Burger (pages 44 & 52) is closed.
- Kaua‘i Museum (page 44) phone number has changed to (808) 245-6931.
- Greeters of Hawai‘i (page 46) no longer does airport lei greetings.
- JC’s Flowers (page 46 & 47) is closed.
- Princeville Ranch Adventures (page 136 & 197) is no longer doing ATVs or ziplines, but they are still open for horseback riding.
- Captain Sundown (page 139 & 140) is now retired and sailed off into the sunset.
- Liko Kaua‘i Cruises (page 139 & 142) has changed their phone number to 808-338-9980.
- Na Pali Coast Hanalei (page 140) is now called Na Pali Coast Tours.
- North Shore Charters (page 140) no longer has a RIB. They are using a 32-ft catamaran taking 18 people max for $200.
- Kaua‘i Sea Tours (page 143 & 264) has changed their phone number to 808-335-5309.
- Kauai Nut Roasters (page 186) is no more—sadly.
- Pohaku T’s (page 187) is closed.
- Hawaiian Dundee Adventures (page 210) is sadly pau.
- The Makai Lounge at the Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach Resort (page 262) is now The Crooked Surf and their phone is 808-320-3651.
Island Dining Updates:
- Eat Healthy Kauai is now called Russell’s (after owner’s dog).
- Kintaro Restaurant suffered a fire, they will be closed until repairs can made.
- Koloa Fish Market has moved to 3390 Poipu Road.
- Puka Dog has moved. They’re now located inside Brennecke’s Deli at 2100 Hoone Road, across the street from Po‘ipu Beach Park.
- Shave Ice Tege Tege (also mentioned on page 60) is MIA for now. Rumor has it they may be opening someplace more permanent in Kapa‘a, but we searched high and low and have yet to find them.
- Verdé’s phone number should be 808-320-7088.
Island Dining Closures:
- 9th Island Sports Bar & Grill
- Art Café Hemingway
- Brick Oven Pizza in Kapa‘a is closed. Kalaheo location is still open.
- Duane’s Ono-Char Burger
- Garden Island Grille
- Great Harvest Bread Co.
- Ha Coffee Bar
- Hanalei Bay Pizzeria
- Island Taco (Po‘ipu)
- Kalaheo Steak & Ribs
- Kalapaki Beach Hut
- Kauai Grill
- Kauai Pasta in Kapa‘a
- Kiawe Roots
- Mailani Dinner Show
- NOM Kaua‘i is reopening in Coconut Marketplace.
- Ono Family Restaurant and Ono Ono Shave Ice
- Plantation Gardens
- Porky’s in Kapa‘a. Waimea location is still open.
- Princeville Resort Dinner on a Beach
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House
- Shrimp Station in Kapa‘a is closed. Waimea location is still open.
- The Lanai Kaua‘i
- The Local Kaua‘i
- Tortilla Republic
From the Where to Stay chapter:
- Hanalei Colony Resort Kaua‘i’s North Shore is open as of December 20th, 2019 after more than a year of repairs. We will be back to do a new review after we give them some time to settle in.
- Marriott Kaua‘i Beach Club & Resort is now called Royal Sonesta Kaua’i Resort.
- The Princeville Resort is currently closed while they rebrand. They will be reopening sometime in 2022 as ”1 Hotel Hanalei Bay”. Once they’ve had a chance to get situated we’ll review them again.