Ultimate Kauai Guidebook Updates
Updates to 12th Edition
It happens every time. The day after we send the files off to the printers for our brand new edition, somebody changes something that directly affects what we write. Several times we’ve e-mailed these changes to the printers. (It’s our only chance to yell that classic publisher line, Stop the presses!) But after the presses roll we’re left shaking our heads, saying, “Yeah, we know that changed. We’ll correct that in our next printing.” The internet is the next best thing to yanking back all the books in print and scribbling in the changes that always occur.
At Wizard Publications we continually strive to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate information on the islands. We are the only publisher who updates our books every time we reprint them. So if you see the updates below already listed in the book you just bought, you may have a recent printing.
The updates below are for the 12th edition of The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. Note: all pages numbers refer to the printed edition of the book.
- JJ’s Broiler (Island Dining)
- Kauai’s Hindu Monastery (page 67) phone number should be 808-822-3012. They are not open to group tours at the moment. Only self-guided tours of the grounds are available to non-worshippers.
- Kilauea Lighthouse (page 52) is closed until further notice. You may still visit the Kilauea Point Refuge and the area outside of the lighthouse as well as the Visitor Center and Nature Store. Reservations must be obtained online in advance at https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/facility/300018.
- Russell’s by Eat Healthy (Island Dining) no dinner for now until they find a new chef. Anyone looking for a job?
- Sheraton Kauai’s Halelani Romantic Dinner (Island Dining)
- Ha‘ena State Park & Napali Coast Access Info (including all beaches, camping, parking, etc. contained therein): see DLNR website for details. The shuttle is in operation.
- Limahuli Garden (page 57) all guided tours are unavailable until further notice.
- Queen’s Bath (page 106) this may be effectively closed off for now.
General Information & Updates:
- Kaua‘i Bus (page 24) monthly pass is now $50.
- Kaua‘i Harley-Davidson (page 24) is now Kauai Motorsports. HOG rental rate is $251 for 24 hours.
- Portuguese Man-Of-War (page 32) Instructions should read: If you do get stung, immediately remove the tentacles with a gloved hand, stick or whatever is handy and rinse thoroughly with vinegar to remove any adhering nematocysts. Then immerse in hot water or apply a hot pack for 45 minutes.
- Hanalei Farmers Market (page 44) is on Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to noon.
- Kauai Camper Rental (page 47) closed.
- Banana Joe’s Fruit Stand (page 54) is closed.
- Kamokila Hawaiian Village (pages 67, 174, 175 & 177) is closed.
- Gillins Beach (pages 117, 118 & 171) and Maha‘ulepu Beaches (pages 15, 82, 83, 117 & 171) access via the dirt road that extends from Poipu Road, is closed until further notice. You can still walk around the gate from the CJM Stables side. This has been ongoing since 2018 and the land owners currently have no plans to open that gate again from Poipu Road or Gillins Beach side.
- Coconut Coasters (page 137) is closed.
- Camping (page 146) there is currently no camping at Black Pot.
- Kayaking the Wailua River (pages 172–177) the DLNR no longer allows for kayak rentals or tours on weekends.
- SeaFun Kauai (page 190) didn’t come back after COVID.
- Secret Tunnel to the North Shore (page 213) a section of the tunnel has caved in and is not accessible, so this hike is not doable at this time.
- Blue Dolphin (page 264) no longer offers a SCUBA option on their dinner cruise because they can’t find any dive instructors. Anyone looking for a career?
Island Dining Closures:
- Banana Joe’s
- Coconut’s Fish Café
- Saimin Dojo
From the Where to Stay chapter:
- Garden Island Inn is now only long term rentals.
- Hanalei Colony Resort Kaua‘i’s North Shore is open as of December 20th, 2019 after more than a year of repairs. We will be back as soon as we can get access due to COVID.