Big Island Revealed Guidebook Updates
Updates to 9th Edition
It happens every time. The day after we send the disks off to the printers for our brand new edition, somebody changes something that directly affects what we write. Several times we’ve e-mailed these changes to the printers. (It’s our only chance to yell that classic publisher line, Stop the presses!) But after the presses roll we’re left shaking our heads, saying, “Yeah, we know that changed. We’ll correct that in our next printing.” The internet is the next best thing to yanking back all the books in print and scribbling in the changes that always occur.
At Wizard Publications we continually strive to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate information on the islands. We are the only publisher who updates our books every time we reprint them. So if you see the updates below already listed in the book you just bought, you may have a recent printing.
The updates below are for the 9th edition of Hawaii The Big Island Revealed. Note: all pages numbers refer to the printed edition of the book.
COVID-19 Related Updates
For in depth up–to-date COVID-19 information as it relates to Hawai‘i, please read our “Traveling to Hawai‘i During COVID” blog.
Everyone stay safe.
General Information & Updates:
- State Parks are now charging a $10 parking fee per vehicle for out-of-state visitors. Pedestrians, motorcycle and moped riders pay $5 per person. The camping fee is now $30 per night per campsite, with cabins at Kalopa for $100 per night and A-frame shelters at Hapuna Beach now $70 per night.
- Getting Married (page 25) bigislandwednet.com is gone, try weddingwire.com instead.
- Greeters of Hawai‘i (page 45) no longer does airport lei greetings.
- South Kona Fruit Stand (page 80) is closed and for sale… any takers?
- Volcanoes National Park (page 98) entrance fee is now $30 in 2020.
- Namakanipaio Campground (page 108) phone number should be 808-985-6101.
- Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden (page 126) admission is now $25 for adults and $12 for kids 6–12 years old.
- Driving up to Mauna Kea (page 147) the visitor center is now requiring 4WD vehicles only.
- ATV Outfitters (page 187) closed.
- Mountain Road Cycles (page 189) is now Bike Works Mauka and rents only mountain bikes and gravel bikes.
- Sea Paradise (page 191) now has serves some alcohol for sale on board, so no more BYOB.
- Fishing (page 196) the state is now asking all visitors to obtain a fishing license from the DLNR for $20/day or $70/week.
- Reel Action (page 197) is closed.
- Charter Desk (page 197) is online only now. However the fishing office at Honokohau Harbor is still open and operating as Kona Charter Desk.
- Darrin Gee’s Spirit of Golf (page 198) no longer teaches clinics and lessons on Big Island.
- Waipi‘o Ridge Stables (page 215) has changed their name and moved, so no longer do the tours we describe. We’ll be reviewing their new tours after they’ve had a chance to settle in.
- Big Island Watersports (page 216 & 229) the phone number should be 808-240-1993. But they are closed until 2022!
- Plenty Pupule (page 218) is closed.
- Pacific Rim Divers (page 220 & 221) has changed their phone number to 808-987-6113.
- Ocean Sports (page 220 & 222) no longer offers SCUBA diving.
- Miller’s Surf & Sport (page 227) is no longer renting snorkel gear.
- KapohoKine Zipline (page 233) is no longer doing ziplines.
- Dolphin Quest (page 242) the phone number should be 808-987-3434.
From the Island Dining chapter, the following restaurants have closed:
- Big Island Kettle Corn
- Bongo Ben’s Island Café
- Da Poke Shack (Captain Cook location only)
- Daylight Mind Coffee Company
- Frenchman’s Café
- Hawai‘i Simply Natural
- Habañeros Grill
- Holuakoa Gardens & Cafe
- Kailua Candy Company
- Longboard Legends Pizza
- Los Tres Mex (Parker Ranch location only)
- Mehe’s Bar & Grill
- Mi’s Waterfront Bistro
- Patz Pies (say it ain’t so – nooooooooooo!)
- Sushi Rock
- TJ’s BBQ by the Beach
- Tropical Frozen Yogurts
From the Island Dining chapter, the following restaurants have changed:
- Café Concerto has change their phone number to 808-825-8940.
- Gypsea Gelato has moved across the street to 79-7491 Mamalohoa Hwy in Kealakekua.
- Mi’s Waterfront Bistro address should be 75-5770 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona.
- Royal Jade Garden is now called The Jade.
From the Where To Stay chapter:
- Country Club Condo Hotel closed.
- Kaamaaina Inn closed permanently.
- Kohala Club Hotel has sold will become a small medical clinic. Wishing this historic place a fond aloha.
- Hilo Seaside Hotel was sold and closed in March 2021 and will reopen in summer 2021 as SCP Hotel Hilo.
- Jacaranda Inn closed – sadly.